About the School
The School of Law is one of the leading law schools in the UK and has been providing instruction in law since its inception in 1899.
Today, we have a community of around sixty dedicated academic staff and twenty support staff who foster a supportive environment for legal studies at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Excellence at a glance
- 7th in the UK for Law (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide, 2017)
- 5th in the UK for Criminology (The Guardian University Guide, 2017)
- Top 10 in the UK for the quality and impact of our research (Research Excellence Framework, 2014)
- University of the Year (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide, 2017)
- 96% overall student satisfaction (National Student Survey, 2016).
Research with impact
Our research has been influential in shaping the intellectual and practical development of the law and public policy. Activity is organised into four research centres/groups and the work is diverse - covering criminal justice, criminology, history, law, philosophy, sociology and more.
- Centre for Business Law and Practice (CBPL)
- Centre for Criminal Justice Studies (CJJS)
- Centre for Law and Social Justice (L&SJ)
- Law and Emerging Technologies Research Group (LET)
Study with us
You can join our dynamic and supportive community of staff and students where we encourage each other to succeed in a broad range of subjects in the main areas of Law and Criminology.
The Head of School
"The School of Law at Leeds is a community where through our teaching, research and public engagement we try to have a positive impact on the world. My colleagues are inspirational teachers who are fully committed to supporting our students to achieve their full potential. It is a fantastic time to be part of our law school community."
Professor Alastair Mullis
Head of School
We have thousands of alumni in positions of leadership in Leeds, the wider UK and internationally. They are part of the of the Law School's alumni group and the university-wide Leeds Network which has over 220,000 alumni in 180 countries.
Our alumni are an important part of our community with many actively engaged in our Career Mentoring Scheme or joining us at the special events we host across the globe including networking, social and lecture opportunities.
Dr Jen Hendry and Dr Ilias Trispiotis co-organised the 2016 UK IVR Conference on ‘Law and Social Sustainability’
Dr. Jen Hendry and Dr. Ilias Trispiotis co-organised the 2016 Annual Conference of the UK International Association of Legal and Social Philosophy (UK IVR) which took place on 29-30 October.
Professor David Wall featured on Look North yesterday in a report about ransomware.