Directors Duties and Shareholder Litigation in the Wake of the Financial Crisis
Are directors’ duties, and shareholder litigation as a means of enforcing those duties, fit for purpose given that one of the causes of the financial crisis was failure at board level in the major financial institutions?
Just as the economic impact of the financial crisis has been felt throughout the economy, so its legal impact will have ramifications for companies and directors both inside and without the banking and financial services sector. This conference is aimed at assessing these broader implications.
The conference is structured around the following themes: directors’ duties including s.172 Companies Act 2006; shareholder litigation; and directors and stakeholder interests.
The conference will be of interest to both academics and practitioners.
- Mr Justice David Richards, Vice Chancellor of the County Palatine
- Professor Jonathan Macey, School of Law, Yale University, USA
- Mr Robin Hollington QC - The Winding up of Hedge Funds on Treasure Islands (PDF, 440KB)
- Professor John Armour (Oxford) - Is Delaware Losing Its Cases? (PDF, 504KB)
- Andrew Campbell (Ashridge Strategic Management) - Why Good Leaders Make Bad Decisions (PDF, 42KB)
- Professor Janet Dine (Queen Mary) - Post-Concession Company Models in Potential European Company Law (PDF, 677KB)
- Mr Louis Doyle (Kings Chambers) - The Susceptibility to Meaningful Attack of Breaches of Directors' Duties under English Law (PDF, 152KB)
- Dr Michael Galanis (Leeds) - The Dynamics of Corporate Bargaining and the Law vs. Contract Debate: Chocolate, Cars and Other Systemic Issues (PDF, 260KB)
- Professor Andrew Keay (Leeds) - The duty to promote the success of the company: Is it fit for purpose? (PDF, 294KB)
- Professor Roman Tomasic (Durham) - Shareholder Activism and Legislation Against UK Banks - The Limits of Company Law Remedies (PDF, 577KB)
No charge for academics, £25 for others.
For further enquiries please email Joan Loughrey or Michael Galanis.
- Conference Programme [PDF: 9KB]
Great Woodhouse Room
University of Leeds
University House is number 28 on the campus map.