Spaces of Indigenous Justice
This workshop is hosted by the Centre for European Law and Legal Studies, and funded by the World Universities Network (WUN).
You are invited to the University of Leeds School of Law for a two-day interdisciplinary workshop on ‘Spaces of Indigenous Justice’ featuring leading experts from institutions across the UK, Europe, the USA and Australia.
This workshop aims to draw together the diverse strands of scholarship in the research field of Indigenous justice and governance by the adoption of specifically interdisciplinary and spatial perspectives.
While issues of, for example, tribal courts, native title, normative boundaries, Indigenous constitutionalism and the rights, recognition and self-determination of Indigenous peoples are of interest to scholars in a variety of fields, including legal theory, sociology, public policy, political philosophy, anthropology, critical geography, international and comparative law, there is a very real need to bring these intertwined and related ideas from the peripheries of their respective disciplines to an interdisciplinary core.
- Event schedule [PDF: 172KB]
The Head of School, Professor Alastair Mullis will conduct the welcome talk. This event will include presentations by ...
- Professor Joxerramon Bengoetxea, University of the Basque Country
- Professor Stephen Cornell, Udall Center for Public Policy, University of Arizona
- Professor Graham Dutfield, School of Law, University of Leeds
- Dr Jen Hendry, School of Law, University of Leeds
- Dr Deirdre Howard-Wagner, Dept. of Sociology, University of Sydney
- Professor Duncan Ivison, Dept. of Philosophy, University of Sydney
- Dr Matthew Johnson, Politics, Philosophy and Religion, University of Lancaster
- Professor Alan Lester, School of Global Studies, University of Sussex
- Professor PG McHugh, Faculty of Law, University of Cambridge
- Dr Mark McMillan, School of Law, University of Melbourne
- Dr Amrita Mukherjee, School of Law, University of Leeds
- Dr Raymond Orr, University of Melbourne
- Professor Melissa Tatum, James E. Rodgers College of Law, University of Arizona
- Dr Saskia Vermeylen, Lancaster Environment Centre, University of Lancaster
- Professor Steven Wheatley, School of Law, University of Lancaster
- Workshop concept [PDF: 91KB]
This workshop will take place on Thursday 12 and Friday 13 December 2013. Those interested in attending should book online via the University of Leeds online payment facility by 2 December 2013.
- £100 (catered)
- £50 (catered) student rate
- Participants may also register for the optional conference dinner (£40). Please note that places are limited and are delivered on a first come, first served basis.
Registration and booking
If you are interested in attending this workshop, please register with Dr Jen Hendry at firstname.lastname@example.org and then book your place through our online store.
Conference venue for 12 December: Charles Thackrah Building
- The Charles Thackrah building is number 15 on the campus map
Conference venue for 13 December: Liberty Building
- The Liberty Building is number 16 on the campus map.