Dr Gauthier de Beco
Lecturer in Disability Law
I obtained an LLM from the University of Nottingham and a PhD from the University of Louvain.
I joined the University of Leeds in January 2015, and taught previously at the University of Leuven and University College London and acted as an expert to several (governmental and non-governmental) organisations.
My research principally relate to human rights and disability. I have widely published in the area of international human rights and am on the editorial board of the Revue trimestrielle des droits de l’homme.
My research interests are in disability and human rights with a special focus on economic, social and cultural rights.
I am particularly interested in inclusive education, related obligations and monitoring mechanisms as well as theoretical foundations for the inclusion of persons with disabilities. Previous research focused on national, European and international human rights monitoring mechanisms.
I teach in the areas of international human rights and legal theory and run Jurisprudence Options on disability legal theory as well as capabilities theory.
I supervise PhDs and am happy to discuss PhD proposals in the areas of disability law, human rights and legal theory.
- G. de Beco and R. Murray, Commentary on the Paris Principles on National Human Rights Institutions (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2014).
- G. de Beco (ed.), Article 33 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: National Structures for the Implementation and Monitoring of the Convention (Leiden/Boston: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2013).
- G. de Beco (ed.), Human Rights Monitoring Mechanisms of the Council of Europe (London: Routledge, 2012).
- G. de Beco, ‘The Right to Inclusive Education According to Article 24 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Background, Requirements and (Remaining) Questions’, (2014) 32 (3) Netherlands Quarterly of Human Rights 263-287.
- G. de Beco, ‘Human Rights Indicators: From Theoretical Debate to Practical Application’, (2013) 5 (2) Journal of Human Rights Practice 380-397.
- G. de Beco, ‘The Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on a Communications Procedure: Good News?’, (2013) 13 (3) Human Rights Law Review 367-387.
- G. de Beco, ‘Article 33 (2) of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. Another Role for National Human Rights Institutions?’, (2011) 29 (1) Netherlands Quarterly of Human Rights 84-106.
- G. de Beco, ‘The Interplay between Human Rights and Development the Other Way Round: The Emerging Use of Quantitative Tools for the Implementation of Economic, Social and Cultural Rights’, (2011) 5 (1) Human Rights and International Legal Discourse 265-287.
- G. de Beco, ‘Human Rights Impact Assessments’, (2009) 27 (2) Netherlands Quarterly of Human Rights 139-166.
- G. de Beco, ‘National Human Rights Institutions in Europe’, (2007) 7 (2) Human Rights Law Review 331-370.